We’re early in this new political era, with a long time ahead of us, and there’s a need to get a sense of one’s bearings. (The sound way to approach the new politics that has overcome America through the three-thousand-year traditional of liberty to be found in many places, the Online Library of Liberty being only one. But that’s the reading and study of a lifetime; there are essays contemporary to us that are both useful and readily distilled.)
These recent essays and posts consider, or a useful to understand, the incipient authoritarianism of America’s next administration. They are a good basis for a beginning, for a distillation of one’s thinking.
Some recent essays for consideration:
- A Discipleship of Resistance.
- Evan McMullin’s Ten Points for Principled Opposition to Authoritarianism.
- Autocracy: Rules for Survival.
- A Yale history professor’s powerful, 20-point guide to defending democracy under a Trump presidency.
- Republicanism without Principle.
- How Donald Trump is Gaslighting America.
- The independent center-right’s Trump survival guide.
- Libertarians and Democrats Need to Fall in Love Again.
- The Key to the Conservative Split on Russia.
- Winter is coming: prospects for the American press under Trump and Prospects for the American press under Trump, part two.
- How Journalists Need to Go Beyond Fact Checking Trump.
- Here are 28 ideas for covering President-elect Donald Trump.
- How Teens In The Balkans Are Duping Trump Supporters With Fake News.
- For years, I’ve been watching anti-elite fury build in Wisconsin. Then came Trump.
- I watched a populist leader rise in my country. That’s why I’m genuinely worried for America.
- The Radical Populism Phenomenon in Politics Offers a Kind of Magical Thinking.
- The Five Lessons of Populist Rule.
- The Curious World of Donald Trump’s Private Russian Connections.
- 12.29.16 Dept. of Homeland Security & FBI Report on Russian Hacking.